The Elevator Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:03:25
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Toronto Tourist Guide - Check it out!

Home Help Arcade Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Gooper1's Toronto Tourist Guide

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gooper1's Toronto Tourist Guide  (Read 3396 times)
guest5

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 03:18:41 »

First, before we go anywhere, I understand that I am bumping here, but this is simply to fill in some info.
It's fine.
It's also a legit enough reason to bump, besides the fact that this topic is stickied.
  • Rogers Centre - *snip* I think photography is strictly prohibited here. *snip*
  • Air Canada Centre - *snip* I think photography is strictly prohibited here also.
Usually, NHL, NBA, and MLB arenas and stadiums do not allow photography during games,  due to copyright reasons of the broadcast, either by the sports team, the arena, or the league. MLB takes it as far as taking down Youtube videos of their games, usually filmed by innocent, average people with simple point-and-shoot cameras. However, in most arenas and stadiums photography is allowed during tours, or at times when there is no game. Usually, during games, it's league policy.
Yeah. Kind of annoying.
Also, while we're talking about arena photography, Yours Truly (yes, me!) is exempt from the rule at TD Garden in Boston [Boston Bruins' arena]...my family knows the Bruins' head of security. All I have to do is keep the video away from anything that may cause copyright trouble.
Cool!
Report Spam   Logged
Nathan/elevatorsonly

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:27:27 »

First, before we go anywhere, I understand that I am bumping here, but this is simply to fill in some info.

• Rogers Centre - *snip* I think photography is strictly prohibited here. *snip*
  • Air Canada Centre - *snip* I think photography is strictly prohibited here also.
Usually, NHL, NBA, and MLB arenas and stadiums do not allow photography during games,  due to copyright reasons of the broadcast, either by the sports team, the arena, or the league. MLB takes it as far as taking down Youtube videos of their games, usually filmed by innocent, average people with simple point-and-shoot cameras. However, in most arenas and stadiums photography is allowed during tours, or at times when there is no game. Usually, during games, it's league policy.

Also, while we're talking about arena photography, Yours Truly (yes, me!) is exempt from the rule at TD Garden in Boston [Boston Bruins' arena]...my family knows the Bruins' head of security. All I have to do is keep the video away from anything that may cause copyright trouble.

Report Spam   Logged
guest5

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:09:42 »

Now I have a YT channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/gooperone
(I had to spell out the 1 since gooper1 was taken.)
Report Spam   Logged
guest5

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:11:16 »

I never had a YT account.
But if you never had a YT account, the message shouldn't be closed account notice, but 'sorry, the account you find does not exist -or something like that-'

BTW: Did you see raykrislianggi, our newest member?
It could have been somebody else for all I know. On Wikipedia, the user gooper1 is a spam user - and we all know that I'm not a spammer - as such, my username is Weaselsinc on Wikipedia. If you don't believe me, take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gooper1

Yes.
Report Spam   Logged
Samuel
A.K.A. sumosoftinc
Administrator

Has been thanked: 10

The Largest (But Not Original) Elevator Channel in Indonesia

Tenth year Anniversary Ninth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 08:07:38 »

I never had a YT account.
But if you never had a YT account, the message shouldn't be closed account notice, but 'sorry, the account you find does not exist -or something like that-'

BTW: Did you see raykrislianggi, our newest member?
Report Spam   Logged

Sumosoftinc - The Largest Elevator Channel in Indonesia
guest5

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 08:02:57 »

I have compiled a list of landmarks and good places to film, despite the fact that I'm no elevator filmer.
I guess you used to film before you closed your YouTube account. I went to http://www.youtube.com/user/gooper1 and it says that this account is closed.
I never had a YT account, nor have I ever filmed an elevator.
Report Spam   Logged
Kan
Administrator

Has been thanked: 6

Level 7 Tenth year Anniversary Ninth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:03:02 »

I have compiled a list of landmarks and good places to film, despite the fact that I'm no elevator filmer.
I guess you used to film before you closed your YouTube account. I went to http://www.youtube.com/user/gooper1 and it says that this account is closed.
Report Spam   Logged
guest5

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 03:54:08 »

Directions from Toronto Pearson International Airport to Downtown Toronto, both by car and public transit:
These directions will lead you to First Canadian Place, Scotia Plaza, and Commerce Court (which are all at different corners of the same intersection), with most of the other buildings 2 minutes away using the PATH.

By car (avoiding freeways, use in rush hour): http://g.co/maps/gm2c5

View Larger Map

By car (with freeways, for use on weekends or at night): http://g.co/maps/zf6qn

View Larger Map

By public transit (for fares, go to http://www.ttc.ca): http://tinyurl.com/6sa22ox

-Gooper1
Report Spam   Logged
guest5

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:06:55 »

And now a map of Toronto and area. Click here to download it (as a PDF). (This map shows all of the major streets and highways.)

A good tip for visitors: Avoid all Toronto highways at rush hour (especially Highways 401 (avoid both directions, AM and PM) and 404 (south of the 407) (in AM: avoid southbound, in PM: avoid northbound), the Don Valley Parkway (in AM: avoid southbound, in PM: avoid northbound), and the Gardiner Expressway (in AM: avoid eastbound, in PM: avoid westbound)), and Highway 407 is tolled (although almost never congested). It is a good idea to take the subway and GO Transit (commuter rail) to get downtown. (A good tip for those who are coming from the north and want to use the yellow subway line to get downtown: If you look on the map, the yellow line (the Y-U-S line) is U-shaped. The western side of the U is usually less crowded than the eastern side. Take that in mind.) For those coming from the airport, you can take a bus to get places (not sure what the fare is, you can check at http://www.ttc.ca).

-Gooper1
Report Spam   Logged
guest5

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:22:29 »

Two thumbs up!
Thanks! PATH and subway maps are coming soon. right here!

The PATH map. Download here.

The full system map of Toronto's transit system (buses, subways, etc.). Click here to download it (in a PDF).

-Gooper1
Report Spam   Logged
Samuel
A.K.A. sumosoftinc
Administrator

Has been thanked: 10

The Largest (But Not Original) Elevator Channel in Indonesia

Tenth year Anniversary Ninth year Anniversary Eighth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 04:47:00 »

Two thumbs up!
Report Spam   Logged

Sumosoftinc - The Largest Elevator Channel in Indonesia
guest5

« on: December 18, 2011, 08:46:37 »

Toronto is a large city with a population of over 5.5 million (and growing fast!) including suburbs (5,555,912 is the reading from the 2006 Census). It has the largest amount of high-rises under construction in the world, and has many buildings for you to film including the CN Tower, one of the world's tallest buildings (the elevators have a glass floor and go extremely fast, but you have to pay to get in)! I have compiled a list of landmarks and good places to film, despite the fact that I'm no elevator filmer.

Good Places to Film
Many major office buildings in downtown double as shopping centres (since they are connected to Toronto's underground city, called the PATH - it has many shops and is directly connected to Union Station (the main rail station) and the TTC subway (Toronto's subway network).), and as such have very little security during the day. DON'T GO AT NIGHT, there will be security in the office buildings, and no stores are open in the PATH (although the PATH itself is open 24/7 (I believe), it's just really boring without the stores). Here are some good buildings to film, with the majority being in downtown and connected to the PATH:

Financial District (King St. and Bay St. area)
All buildings in the Financial District are PATH-connected. If you are taking the subway get off at King, Union, or St. Andrew stations and proceed to the PATH. (A PATH map is available here.)
A good tip for subway users: During rush hours, St. Andrew station is good to use as it is not as crowded as King or Union.

First Canadian Place - 72 storeys with Otis double-decker elevators! (You should go to 68, since it's the upper reception desk (it has a great view of downtown), although you could go to 72 (just warning you that I think it's private offices) if you wish.)
There is also Exchange Tower located right beside FCP, but it is much smaller (36 floors). TONS of elevators to film here!

Scotia Plaza - 68 storeys. Nice, fast elevators here.

Royal Bank Plaza - 2 towers, South Tower is 41 floors and North Tower is 26 floors. It has Otis elevators.

Brookfield Place - a nice office complex with 53 and 49 storey towers (TD Canada Trust Tower and Bay Wellington Tower respectively). For you hockey fans out there, the Hockey Hall of Fame is in this building's lower level!

Toronto-Dominion Centre - an office complex with several towers.

Commerce Court - 4 towers, the tallest one being 51 storeys (Commerce Court West), you will also find a 31-storey tower from the 1930's (Commerce Court North). The other two towers are small and boring.

Other Attractions

CN Tower - 3rd tallest freestanding structure in the world. You must pay to get in, but the elevators are REALLY fast. Indirectly PATH-connected (you must go outside). Right beside the Rogers Centre, see that entry for directions.

Ontario Science Centre - an excellent science centre, entertains people of all ages. You must pay to get in. It's kinda far from downtown and not connected to the subway or the PATH (although you could take a TTC bus there).
It is at Eglinton Ave. and Don Mills Ave. - two major streets - and near the Don Valley Parkway - a major freeway with major rush-hour congestion problems. On the DVP, there will be signs for the Science Centre - you will get off at either Wynford Drive (southbound) or Eglinton Ave. (northbound).
It does have a glass elevator near the main entrance, pretty long escalators, as well as a freight elevator that is sometimes used when the 2 main elevators get really crowded (happens a lot).
Some info about the elevators and escalators - there are 4 elevators (2 main, 1 freight and 1 near the main entrance), a small wheelchair lift on Level 6 (in the Weston Family Innovation Centre), and 7 escalators (6 Montgomery Globe and Parallelograms (3 in each direction) forming the main escalators, and 1 Thyssen escalator near the main entrance with GLASS SIDES so you can see inside the escalator!)

Royal Ontario Museum - a good museum, but you must pay to get in. There are a few elevators to film, including a HUGE one (the Rotunda Elevator). Right outside the aptly-named Museum subway station.

TTC subway stations - not all of them have elevators. A list of them that do can be found here.

And some landmarks where you can't film or aren't good places to film (not many elevators), but are really nice to see/go to:

Rogers Centre - in the summer, you can see the Toronto Blue Jays (an MLB baseball team) play here. As such, the food is really overpriced and you must pay to get in (it's rather cheap for the crappy upper-deck seats and gets more expensive the farther down you go). The stadium seats about 50,000 and has a retractable roof. Photography is strictly prohibited here. Indirectly PATH-connected, right beside the CN Tower. Take the subway to Union, follow the signs to the SkyWalk. You will have to go outside for a little bit.

Air Canada Centre - in the winter, you can see the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL hockey team) and the Toronto Raptors (NBA basketball team) play here. Again, the food is really overpriced AND the tickets are ridiculously expensive (especially for the Leafs) even for a crappy seat. Photography is strictly prohibited here also. PATH-connected. Take the subway to Union and follow the signs.

Canada's Wonderland - a nice amusement park. No elevators here, but has some nice rides. Quite far from downtown; however, it's right off Highway 400 (a major freeway).

I'll update this list quite a lot.

-Gooper1
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: